REFLECTIONS: #Watchful Eye

I came home today, leisurely walking after a long day at the office

Glad that the day was over and looking forward to spending time with my babies

I walk up to the gate and when the guard at the gate realizes it’s me he becomes frantic

Seeing his expression changing I feel a pull in my tummy and the panic spreads right across my body

Oh Lord thanks for your watchful eye and for being a protecting shield over our lives


He stutters as he speaks and

I ask is there a problem

He narrates an accident that happened like 10 minutes ago

My son was cycling in the compound inside our apartment block

One of the neighbours had a gate to take to her rural home where she was building and kept it slanting on the wall,

And just as our son was cycling the back of his bike hits the slanting gate

And it comes down and falls on him

Oh Lord thanks for your watchful eye and for being a protecting shield over our lives


God has a special way of cushioning children even when a situation looks dire

The guards dash to where my son is lying helpless; one raises the gate and the other lifts our son and rushes him to the house

The nanny warms some water and puts a pinch of salt in it

And I walk into the house scared of what to expect as she's washing the wounds on our son's head which are bloody and full of dirt

I pick him up and rush him to the hospital

Oh Lord thanks for your watchful eye and for being a protecting shield over our lives


We see the doctor, and he advises a CT scan would be appropriate

But God protects little children, they are His angels

The scan is clear, we are given a list of symptoms to watch out for in case they appear we are advised to rush back to the hospital, we are given painkillers and we head home

Oh Lord thanks for your watchful eye and for being a protecting shield over our lives

 

I get a call from a close friend and surprisingly she tells me today she’s been feeling she should pray for our son

And in my mind, I think God’s way of doing things is really not our way and that He is full of mercy, grace and love

We get home and the neighbour knocks at our door to apologize, and really despite the shock and worry we understand 

It was not intentional and we assure her it’s fine that our son will be okay

Oh Lord thanks for your watchful eye and for being a protecting shield over our lives


God is always our shield and protection

An ever-present help in times of trouble

Oh Lord thanks for your watchful eye and for being a protecting shield over our lives


You are our son

and we will always love you with a love so immense, so eternal as we love your siblings too

we could never find a way to squeeze it into words

Oh Lord thanks for your watchful eye and for being a protecting shield over our lives


Watchful Eye by Mary Mwithiga



Comments

  1. Close shave

    "Oh Lord thanks for your watchful eye and for being a protecting shield over our lives"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Quaran-times

THE MYSTERIOUS GUY (part 1)

Dear younger me: LEOPARD IN THE SNOW.